Thursday 6 December 2012

Bookworm: The Wedding Diaries by Sam Binnie

I finished reading this book last night before I went to sleep and was surprised to find I was at the end. It felt like the story just stopped.

Not currently engaged, about to go to any weddings, or planning my own, perhaps I'm not the ideal audience for this read.

The Wedding Diaries is a fictional piece based around the wedding 'diary' of fictional character Katherine 'Kiki' Carlow.

With the lead working in a publishing house, readers are treated to hear the wedding journey of both the main character and one of her clients.

Clearly this book isn't meant to be a serious piece of prose or hopes to win any writing awards any time soon, with this piece you expect a lighthearted, heartwarming, comical offering.

After recently reading two detective/thriller books back to back, both involving murders, I thought this might make a welcome change.

Did I get what I wanted? To be honest not really. I found the book badly written, the characters weren't that gripping and the story provided nothing new - girl goes all bridezilla and wants the world for her wedding day and then comes to realise what's more important in life.

At times I couldn't see what was meant to be funny and in parts the writing didn't make sense.

Perhaps this might be more suitable for someone planning their wedding? Possibly, although the 'to do lists' and sample wedding items included at the back of the book weren't particularly true to life. Knowing the experiences of friends and family when booking their special day I know how far in advance things need to be done, so felt details were unrealistic.

Good points
Lighthearted
Some funny moments

Not so great
Expecting an 'easy to read' readers could be frustrated by the writing style which in fact makes it hard to read (why is any speech laid out like a script for example?)
Story doesn't really offer any surprises
Characters are pretty standard, nobody stands out or grips you

In case you haven't realised yet, no I wasn't a fan of this book. I'm off now to take on Nick Spalding's Life on a High...even if he never seems to retweet my nice comments on Twitter...

No comments:

Post a Comment