Wednesday 12 February 2014

I can't get no sleep

Last night I got home from work feeling tired and I really did not feel like exercising so I ended up going to bed early.

Relaxing and going to bed earlier than normal I thought would be a good idea to get more energy for the next day.

Wrong!

After a couple of hours in bed sleeping I woke up. And then that's when my trouble started.

For the next 3 hours+ I couldn't get back to sleep. 

Everything was keeping me awake, the room seemed lighter than normal, I couldn't stop focussing on my other half's breathing and I just could not get comfortable.

I kept checking the clock next to me, trying to see how long I'd been awake.

When it got to after half past three I made myself stop.

Oddly, although when I got up this morning (swearing as my alarm went off!) I felt exhausted, throughout my working day I seemed to be calmer and get lots of things done I'd been putting off.

I wonder if this is because all night long I was thinking. Thinking of things I needed to do at work. Thinking of what else I have to do in order to get my flat on the market and get househunting. Thinking of ideas for the Valentine's plans me and my man have discussed. 

Lying in bed, tossing and turning, huffing and puffing, I started making lists in my head. The more I did this the more awake I became. Then my boyfriend's snoring, and even his breathing (poor thing!) kept me awake. All I could focus on was the noise of his breaths and it made me stroppy.

Of course as I got stroppy then I got more alert.

Everything seemed to keep me awake.

Eventually I must have fallen asleep, in total I guess I must have got at most 4 or 5 hours of sleep. 

My alarm seemed to go off just as I was dropping off.

So why is it sometimes we get nights like this. When you're someone who normally sleeps through most things, who wakes up in the night and goes straight off to sleep soon after. Why is it then on other evenings you just lay there as the seconds, minutes, then hours tick away?

Tonight I felt tired out from my lack of sleep, but this time I made myself do my workout DVD and I feel so much better for it.

My only worry now is I'm feeling pretty alert after the workout and refreshing shower. 

Let's hope it's not another night of no sleep. Although perhaps this time I should keep a pad and pen next to me, goodness knows what great ideas I might come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment