Friday 20 April 2012

Bookworm: A Desirable Residence (Sophie Kinsella as Madeleine Wickham)

Yet another read on loan from my Mum this isn't necessarily the sort of book I would normally go for.

I do like trashy chick lit offerings, however I like their story behind them to have some form of appeal. In addition, I am very drawn in by book covers, this cover isn't the most enthralling.

Although writing under her real name of Madeleine Wickham in this instance, I've read books in the past by this author (better known as Sophie Kinsella). Best known for her 'Shopaholic' series, this writer is known for easy reads.

On finishing this paperback though I've found myself disappointed. A dull and partly negative ending, the easygoing lighthearted storylines I'm used to were not evident by the end of this book unfortunately.

I was interested to see how the various characters developed at first in this book and I can see the themes throughout of the 'grass not always being greener on the other side' and 'money doesn't buy you 'happiness'.

Unfortunately though nothing much else really happened in this 300+ page book and I've found myself trying to race to the end so I can get started on a more appealing read.

Good points
Easygoing
Not a predictable ending
Sticks to strong themes

Bad points
Pretty dull storyline
Nothing that much really happens
Certain storytelling is rushed

Overall then not really a hit. On the plus note though I'm now finished and can get started on a book I've had my eye on for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment