Friday 10 February 2012

Bookworm: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Over the last couple of weeks I've been reading - in fact glued to - 'Delirium' by Lauren Oliver.

Published by Hodder in the UK in paperback in 2011, I'd seen this book whilst looking online for ideas for new reads. The tagline 'What if love were a disease?' drew me in instantly.

The main thing that attracted me to the book and in turn also the key factor in my enjoyment of this paperback was the fact it was different. It took a different approach to love and feelings.

Centred around the main character of Lena, the story follows a different way of living. We've always been bought up to see love as a good thing, but what if this actually isn't the case? What if in fact love is bad for us?

I found the book clever in the way it used classic symptoms of falling in love as indicators of having the disease 'amor deliria nervosa'. The book makes the reader uncomfortable at times and elements of the story are strongly suggestive of Nazi Germany, with areas such as the 'Crypts' mirroring the idea of concentration camps.

Similarly themes of racism can be seen in the likes of the 'Invalids', 'Sympathisers' and 'Cureds'.

When first starting this fictional piece I was slightly concerned it was going to be some sort of sci fi creation which I wouldn't like.

Delirium has slight similarities to the film The Island in many ways too, but although you think you've guessed where it's going next it tends to surprise you.

Looking at previous reviews Heat magazine commented: "One of the most addictive books we've come across in ages...from one of the most exciting writers around." I felt the same and couldn't put the book down, reading it on my commute to and from work, during my lunchbreak and before going to sleep at night.

In fact when I got close to the end I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Yet when I did reach the end I found myself disappointed I'd finished it already!

Oliver's book will leave you in a mix of emotions - tense, sad, romantic and excited to find out more.

Favourites
The openings to each chapter referring to 'excerpts' from the fictional publications by the authorities the book refers to.
The development of the main characters.
The twists and turns and overall feel-good factor of the story involved.

Not so good
Some parts are a little predictable.
A few potential flaws in some of the storyline.
A big build up and an ever so slightly rushed feel to the ending.

Overall this would definitely be a recommended read!

No comments:

Post a Comment