Saturday 14 July 2012

Birthday books

There, I think I've done it. I think I've finished selecting my holiday reads for Thailand.

Whatever I'm doing throughout the year I love to read, on my break, when I go to bed at night, on the commute or relaxing on the sofa.

When it comes to holidays, nothing changes, I still want to read - and even better if I'm doing it on a lounger in the sun or lying on a golden beach with the sound of the sea lapping the shore behind me!

I tend to find I want easygoing reads on holiday, you're relaxing and having a break from real life after all. Anything which gives me a chance to escape, doesn't strain my sunbathing brain and has a good feeling to it tends to appeal.

This is going to be a first for me too as for once I'm actually going to take my Kindle away with me. No heavy paperbacks impacting on my luggage allowance, no I will have just my slim ebook reading device to hand instead.

Only thing is I kind of need to conquer my concerns with keeping my Kindle safe and clean. Yes I know the cover is there to protect it, but it's leather and smart and it's going to look such a mess if it has sand stuck to it and suncream greasy smears across it...

Kindle concerns aside, I've been having a think what I want to be reading as I'm flying to my birthday holiday destination, whilst I lie by the pool on Koh Samui and laze on the beach on Koh Phangan.

I've decided to stick with the easy read options and indulging in something perhaps set in a similar climate to where I'll be (a pattern I've also noted when I opt for travel fiction).

My four winners are

The Beach by Alex Garland (of course, how can I have seen the film, but not read the book AND be going to Thailand??)

How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran (something to get me thinking, laugh and have some banter with my man)

Catching the Sun by Tony Parsons (embarrassingly yes the fact it's set in Thailand has influenced me!)

Winging it: A Tale of Turning Thirty by Elizabeth Lippens (well, I am reaching 30 and want someone to be there to relate to!)

Here's to an amazing holiday and hopefully some enjoyable reading experiences!

1 comment:

  1. Rubbish! Not only did I spell the author's name wrong - Elizabeth Tippens. But I've found you can't get it on the Kindle! x

    ReplyDelete