Friday 31 January 2014

That theatre feeling



I do love the theatre. 

Ever since I was young I can remember enjoying the experience. 

When little it was all about dressing up smart and going to see pantomimes, then childhood stories and my favourite books being played out on stage (BFG always sticks for some reason).

Then off to see more serious plays for school and college viewing. 

After, my love for musicals developed, all the costumes, songs and feel good factor.

Leading into more moving tales and thought provoking pieces. 

Everything stemmed from there and combined in a varied mix of it all - cheesy musicals from films and books I'd loved, tear jerking shows which set my emotions alight, watching famous stars tread the boards, becoming more cultured with all talking, no interval plays, being bewitched by ballet and opinionated over opera. 

I love it all.

It's now so much more accessible for all too. The one thing I do miss about theatre however is the glamour.

Not, the glamour of the stars and stage. That's of course still there. It's the audience that's lost its sparkle.

People used to dress up to go see a show. Now jeans are more often than not the outfit of choice. 

Tonight I went to see a play called The Weir. I got to go somewhat out of the blue as a friend at work could no longer go and sold me her tickets. 

So off I went with my Mum. We enjoyed a locely Italian meal washed down with red wine and then headed to see what lay in store for us for our £10 seats.

Ah meal, drinks and theatre is such a good combo!

Anyway I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. After my Michael Grandage £10 balcony experiences throughout last year at the Noël Coward theatre I'd warned my Mum how high and far the tickets may lead us.

However on finding our seats I was pleasantly surprised. Pretty good for what are commonly termed the 'nosebleed seats'. 

As for the show it lasted around 1 hour and 45 minutes with no interval.

From rough snippets I'd heard I'd got it in my head that it was going to be somewhat of a ghost tale and may spook us out.

There were some moments that got my skin tingling and my eyes watering (some weird thing I seem to get if I'm getting a bit scared by supernatural/frightening films/stories).

However this wasn't a scary story show, this was about relationships, emotions and humour. 

Set in an Irish pub, it reminded me of elements of the Cripple of Inishmaan, which also had a lovely feel to it and great humour. 

Although the show wasn't quite what I was expecting, I did enjoy it. It offered something different and kept me gripped and hooked on the characters in front of me.

Well known names feature, but that wasn't what it was about, it was the well developed characters who you couldn't help but love. 

Yet again I enjoyed another theatre experience and now it's got me wondering what can I go see next?? 



No comments:

Post a Comment