Tuesday 29 January 2013

Bookworm: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

"My friend has just recommended a book to me, says it's the best book she's read in the last year," a friend at work said to me last week.

"Ooh what is it??" I asked. Across came a link on Amazon, to Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn.

I laughed. "No way! I'm reading that right now!"

I'd seen this fictional thriller reviewed in Stylist magazine towards the end of last year and as always, had made a note of those that caught my eye. Straight on to my 'to read' list on GoodReads.

So last week I decided my next book to read - of the five or so I'd recently downloaded - was going to be Gone Girl.

A wife goes missing. Is her husband really telling the truth? A thriller, and so on... Sounds like a lot of books of its type. Although reviews promised this was different and very dark.

Immediately I was a fan of the style of Flynn's structure in this book, split between Nick the husband's thoughts on events as they happened, as his wife Amy goes missing, and then diary entries from said wife, in the past, leading up to the day of disappearing.

There is not an awful lot I can say about this book without spoiling it.

What I will say is nothing is what it seems. This story constantly surprises you. Just when you think you have thing figured out Wham! Flynn comes and smacks you in the face with another surprise.

Feeling one emotion towards a character and then Smash! Flynn comes and slaps you hard with a complete turnaround.

There is quite a big number of characters in this fictional tale, but there many likeable ones - some surprisingly so.

I loved being constantly surprised, the unravelling of events and thoughts. Constantly unsure what was going to come next.

As a reader you get hooked. I wanted to read this book constantly. Approaching the end I was desperate to read more and see how it would finish, but also hesitant since I didn't want the reading experience to end.

Good points
Addictive page turner
Constant surprises
Strong characters
Great storyline

Not so great
Unsure about the ending
Sad to finish it!

I finished the book and even in the last few pages things seemed to change considerably and still surprised me. I didn't really 'get' the end, I was unsure how I felt about it, it surprised me. It was so different.

Of course it was though and that's the beauty, expect the unexpected.

Really recommend as something completely different. Now my only issue is what to read next to match up to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment