Tuesday 26 July 2011

Barbie babies

Right this is going to be interesting. I am trying to blog using my HTC. I apologise in advance for any horrendous typos, or how short this post will probably turn out to be as I'll get fed up of trying to type on a smartphone.

Anyways... so I went to the gym today again and in the drinks room I picked up a copy of Stylist magazine, I think there's a new one out tomorrow. I must admit I only started reading the article I'm about to refer to and haven't yet finished it, but I was so shocked by the story in there "How to make the perfect baby". Apparently the ability for wannabe parents to soon be able to pick features of their future child is fast approaching. Now, if this means that potentially serious illnesses and conditions can be prevented in future generations this seems a positive step. What I don't find quite so appealing is that this is actually seemingly going to be the next big thing for plastic fantastic addicts who have to have the perfect looking child too.

I admit, on first reading the item and reflecting on my own thoughts I have often hoped that whenever I do have a child I hope and pray it is attractive. Shallow I know, but true.

Obviously, or at least I hope it's obvious, the primary concern is to have a happy, healthy child. But I have joked with my boyfriend how if I gave birth to a ginger child I would dye its hair! What I read in this feature though disturbed me. Trying to make sure a child is a set height, has certain coloured eyes, a small nose or a lighter shade of skin. Surely this is just encouraging prejudice and making fake and super perfect looks more acceptable and the norm.

For one I don't really get why you'd want to create something in this sort of pick n mix system. Why do we want to create a society of clones, where we all look the same and are 'perfect'? Who's to say what is perfect anyway? Surely everybody's tastes and opinion are different?

Also I think it's pretty safe to say that this sort of treatment - or whatever it will be - is going to be limited to those with more money, so does this mean greater divides in society? Poorer kids have to be 'ugly'? What happens if the baby doesn't turn out with the designed/requested features agreed on? Do you get your money back, do you check the baby on a 4D scan and decide it isn't as perfect as you wanted and what get rid of it? It doesn't bear thinking about!

In my eyes it's good to be different, we don't all want to be the same and those features we have all work, along with our personality, to make us who we are. In a world where it seems miscarriages are an increasingly common occurrence why would people not just be grateful for after nine months meeting with this unique and beautiful life they've created?

I for one look forward to a day when I can hopefully meet a baby I've created which will no doubt be super tall, have a big nose, probably have some sort of skin issue and talk too much. But do you know what, I'll love it no matter what and I think that's how it should be. Let's stop all these unnecessary scientific 'developments' to make everything perfect and be happy how we are, none of this plastic surgery unless it's needed for health reasons or someone's life truly is negatively affected by their appearance.

When I'm older with droopy boobs, grey, thinning hair and unsightly wrinkles perhaps I'll think different, but for now I think our 'imperfections' are perfect as they are. Let's let our future generation decide how they want to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment