Tuesday 5 March 2019

Mum friends

When I slump down on the sofa exhausted from the day 
As I hold my head in my hands, wiping tears away 
There you are to reach out to, in your calm and caring way 

When I’m feeling shame at how my child acts
And questioning myself at my approach to their answering back
There you are with your advice and thoughts, all handled with such tact 

When I feel so cruel for how much I now feel I shout 
As I stand in situations at times feeling the odd one out 
There you are with your comments, helping to reduce my doubts 

When I’m at my wits end, just tired of it all
As I don’t know where to turn and my world now feels so small 
There you are to build me up again, making me proud and tall

When I need to share some things that I worry may be judged by some
As I check my lists and fret over all I haven’t done 
There you are to tell me stories and remind me of things that are fun 

When my child does something of which I am so proud 
As I watch in delight at kind behaviour, lovely words said aloud
There you are to share it with and give praise too so loud 

When something gross happens that would make others feel sick
As I finish some soggy leftovers or help save those melting treats with a lick
There you are with your own tales and funny grotty tricks

When I feel bad at how I now feel and look 
As I note my new shape and the old me that motherhood took
There you are to compliment, remind me to relax, enjoy a treat or book 

When after bedtime I fancy a tasty glass of wine 
As I tuck into some fattening treat so divine 
There you are to support me and share too your naughty but nice lifeline

When I over analyse and question it all 
As I feel over that edge I’m about to fall
There you are at the end of a message, text or call 

Never judging a snack choice, outfit or parenting hack
Always there to support and have my back
Suggesting playdates to help suit me and my brood
Having a good laugh together, helping to brighten my mood
Never a competition about who’s done best 
Always making me feel with you there’s no chance you’ll ever judge, not like the rest 

You are the mum friend I trust 
I rely on and I need
When days are bad or I feel doubt
My worries and sad thoughts are soon freed
It just takes that one mum friend who truly gets you and how things are
Someone who’ll turn up at your door or offer support from afar 
In the form of playdates, lunches, sweets, messaging or wine 

We all need at least that one mum friend and I truly treasure mine 



No comments:

Post a Comment