Tuesday 13 January 2015

Is Tuesday really that terrible?



This morning as I walked along in the rain, annoyed that two cars went flying over the crossing and didn't stop for me, I was taken back to my A Level days.

Studying Sociology as one of my subjects at sixth form college, we learnt about something called the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy - the idea people end up behaving or thinking a certain way if you constantly expect it of them. 

I can recall studies on children who became naughty or troublesome after their family and school teachers all labelled them as such. After a while they then started to behave and adopt traits of  being that way.

The reason I thought about this was a simple reason. Today is Tuesday.

I've blogged about it before, but for some reason for quite some time I've found on a Tuesday I tend to have a bad day. 

Even if my day seems to be going okay, later on I soon find myself annoyed or upset by something at work, or I'll have transport issues or I'll get some bad news. You get the idea.

So my default reaction this morning on having cars not stop for me and the fact it was raining on my walk to the tube station was just that. Oh typical it's Tuesday! 

I've come to almost dread Tuesdays and I think on occasion I've avoided certain things like booking important meetings  on this day of the week, just in case.

This morning I finally weighed myself and I found I've only lost 1lb in weight since I first weighed myself on New Year's Day to start my healthy eating and exercise.

What did I do? Of course, as you're guessing - as silly as it is - I thought maybe I need to re-think this day to weigh myself. Perhaps I should go back to Saturdays or Mondays like before.

I realise I've been thinking this way for quite some time now. As weird as it may seem and however slightly embarrassing it is to admit it.

For some reason this morning as I was walking I was taken back to my 16/17 year old self and I thought of Sociology and this Self Fulfilling Prophecy. 

Maybe Tuesdays aren't all bad. What if all this time I've been making them hard for myself? Could a few odd bad days have fallen on a Tuesday by coincidence and I've now shoved this label on them and am now stuck in my ways obsessing over Terrible Tuesdays? Are other days full of similar occurrences but I deal with them better because they've fallen on another day and I've not made such a big deal out of them?

So as I walked along I decided today I am not going to assume things will be bad and if things do happen I mustn't associate them with the fact it's a Tuesday.

So far so good. I'm on my break at work and although a couple of things haven't been great I'm not on some sort of downer. 

Let's see if I make it to the end of the day and if this new approach works.

Anyone else got any weird habits like this? And can it really be true you can influence your whole day with the power of your thinking?

I'll let you know... 







No comments:

Post a Comment