Friday 19 July 2013

Bookworm: Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

Granted this book is pretty short, but I've  finished it in just a few days this week.

I saw the film when it came out and was a bit worried it was going to be like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A film I am torn between liking and just not really getting it.

Of course seeing Mr Cooper features was a big swaying point for me! 

I liked the film but did find it a bit odd at times and when it first started I didn't quite get it. The book is much clearer.

Recently I bought the film on DVD so will definitely re-watch it now I've read the book.

In this fictional piece, we're taken into the world of Pat Peoples as he comes out of a mental health facility, desperate to prove he's well and a better man. Mostly to make sure he can get back with his adored wife Nikki. Nikki who can do no wrong.

The book was good as it's written in a style which cleverly conveys Pat's mind and life approach - something which I found I read very quickly. However it also puts hints in so you know what's actually going on. 

I liked the twists and turns in the book and the introduction of Tiffany. 

I did feel at times having seen the film spoilt points for me as I was picturing Bradley Cooper and Jeniffer Lawrence as the lead characters, when in books I like to make my own picture in my mind. In turn I kind of feel was Bradley Cooper a bit mis-cast for the role as he's not who I'd imagine when picturing Pat in this book.

One thing I loved was the emotions in this story - parts that make you sad, make you laugh, confuse you, make you think.

I think it's a good way to look at mental health too.

Good points
Likeable characters
Strong theme
Brings a mix of emotions

Not so great
Feels a bit crammed into too short a book perhaps?
Sometimes confusing 

On comparing the book and film I have to say if anything the book has made me like the overall story more. Pat would be pleased he got a happy ending! 

No comments:

Post a Comment