Sunday 28 July 2013

Bookworm: Close My Eyes by Sophie McKenzie



I picked this latest read from the Richard & Judy Summer Reads list, they normally pick some good options. 

Reviews I had seen suggested this story was full of twists and turns and so I decided to give it a go.

The main storyline focuses around Geniver whose is trying to move on and try again after her baby is stillborn. She suddenly gets a visitor who suggests all is not as it seems and there could have been more to the ordeal than the grieving mother thought.

Close my Eyes then tells the tale as Geniver discovers and uncovers more details about her life and those in it.

I was looking forward to the twists in the story, but as usual I started to guess at things and pretty early on was convinced that I knew what was going to happen. I hoped it wasn't that obvious.

Thankfully there are lots of twists and turns so you can't guess them all. Even at the end when you think you know what's happening another surprise comes in.

However, that said certain parts I felt were far fetched and getting a little ridiculous. 

I liked the book and felt gripped by it, but I do think some of it could have been written and handled better.

Good points
Addictive read
Twists and turns
Something a bit different

Not so great
Some bits obvious/predictable 
At times unrealistic 

Whether you should read this book is ultimately up to you, but for the faults listed overall I did enjoy reading this book. At the end some points left me a bit disappointed, but then a final punch at the very end delivered and I was left impressed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment