Monday 1 August 2011

New job nerves

We're about to head off from our mini break - it's been a nice mix of sightseeing, laughs, relaxing and good food, with great friends. However, this morning I woke up not smiling and happy, but a bag of nerves. Tomorrow I start my new job and the nerves have well and truly kicked in.

I've been at the same company for seven and a half years and had built up my knowledge so that I always knew what was going on and how things work. I really can't imagine not knowing anything. But as of tomorrow I will be that new person, the one who has to ask questions and doesn't know what's going on. When I started my last job I was a fresh-faced graduate, are more allowances made if you're young? Or are things different if you are a graduate? You're not expected to be as confident or knowledgeable? Yet now, when going to a job where you've got years of work experience behind you are you allowed to be nervous? Should you know loads when you get there?

What if the people don't like me? What if I don't like the office or the role? There are ten million questions and worries flooding through my head!

For now I'm going to continue in my mini break mist of make believe and forget about work and the real world until I get home. I've got much more pressing matters - what country pub are we going to go to for lunch??

No comments:

Post a Comment