Monday 4 February 2019

A year of my gorgeous twins



As those words flickered up on the little blue test 
We didn’t realise then you were going to be different from the rest 
Feeling overwhelmed at another pregnancy 
Then the scan telling us there wasn’t just one baby 
Two babies, twins, two tiny foetuses inside
Very quickly forming a big bump, too big to hide
Your big sister then still a baby herself 
She used to kiss my tummy and check on your health 
Lots of scans and discussions and plans 
Wanting to force you into the world early, I wasn’t a fan
Worried about any risk to you
I agreed, I compromised, wanting the safest arrival for you two
My bump got so very big round and heavy 
Moving, even getting out of bed was very hard for me 
Waiting for you to arrive in hospital 
So much monitoring and kerfuffle
One of you already so cheeky, not wanting to be traced
People laughing at your tongue poking out as the scan showed a little face 
The moment you arrived seemed so quick and you were in a sudden hurry to be here 
On handing each of you to me holding you so near
So tiny and fragile, that perfect moment with you 
Experienced twice because there were two
You both fed together, cried and snuggled in
I’d been so nervous but your arrival felt like a lottery win
Learning to do everything twice 
Nappies, feeds, sleeping, double cuddles so nice
This year feels it’s flown by faster than the speed of light 
So minute and small, now already so strong and full of 
might 
Cute, tender touches, you’ve always got each other 
I’m so lucky I get to call myself your mother 
Double trouble, double the love and fun 
Double the cheekiness, double the mess, the laughs for everyone 
Individual characters that make up a perfect pair
Always a smile when you are there 
As you turn one know how much for you we care
One year of giggles, feeds, naps and more
You’ve completed our family, our twins we adore
Happy 1st Birthday Callum and Sophia
Each day our love for you just grows bigger and bigger 




No comments:

Post a Comment