Tuesday 19 February 2013

Bookworm: The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore

I faintly remember seeing this book in a review somewhere and people recommending it as an original ghost tale.

This caught my attention as something a bit different to what I'd normally read so I was keen to download it.

I noted the book was only a couple of hundred pages in size, the same as the last book I read. I expected to finish this book quickly again.

Not this time.

It actually took me quite a few days to read this fictional tale.

Reason being? This book was hard to read.

No it wasn't complicated subject matter, it wasn't written in too highbrow a style.

No, I just found it boring.

This book failed to grab my attention. As I always do I stuck with it, just in case it got better.

Unfortunately not. I didn't like any of the characters, I found the story unbelievable and boring.

Good points
Tries to offer something different

Not so great
Boring storyline
Unrealistic/don't buy into the ghost idea
All characters seem to have negative aspects, so didn't like them/relate to them
Odd ending

Overall this book was a real let down for me, I was expecting much more. There wasn't really anything that I could pinpoint and say I enjoyed. By all means give it a go, but in my view you'll probably find it a waste of time...

No comments:

Post a Comment