Thursday 6 February 2020

Just a short sharp scratch


Just a short sharp scratch 

Ew even those words make me feel a bit nauseous.

I’m a wuss. There are a lot of things I’m scared of and nervous about to be fair. However, injections and blood tests is definitely up there! 

As mentioned in yesterday’s blog post I’ve had somewhat of a health ‘MOT’ this week.

Since I have asthma I’m always offered the flu jab. I think I’ve had it most years although I really can’t remember if I did last year. 

Anyway, there have been moments I’ve had my fiancé distract me by acting silly in a doctors room to stop me freaking out at having injections. My arm has started aching at just the thought of being injected in some sort of phantom pain. I’ve felt faint, got hot and on the verge of tears when having to get blood taken. 

Yet I’ve given birth twice and been through a few unpleasant procedures in my time. Including a huge needle in me when I had an epidural! Still, I continue to worry over a tiny needle and a really short moment of discomfort. 

Needles, blood, yuck. 

However, something weird has happened to me this week. For one, I decided to stay true to my mantra I was going to follow this week and try put myself first a bit more. So some symptoms I’d been having and a letter for a test I’d received I finally decided to address. 

Hence the MOT! 

I won’t lie there were times before one appointment I nearly walked out the doctors and I did get a bit tearful.

After my blood test today I felt a bit hot and nauseous.

However, I stuck at it and attended my appointment Monday and made sure I covered all the points I wanted.

When it came to having my flu jab, I surprised myself I was chatting away and didn’t even flinch when it was done. 

Normally post blood test I walk around with a stiff arm and don’t move it for hours after. Yes I know how ridiculous this is! Today, I walked straight out, popped my cardigan and coat on and not long after was carrying a bag full of shopping for the kids I’d collected. 

So yes, I’m a 37 year old woman and finally I think I might have actually overcome some of my fears this week. 

Don’t get me wrong I didn’t enjoy any of it and still wasn’t keen, but it was definitely not so traumatic as I usually find it. And - yes I know what a big girl! - I went to all the appointments and tests on my own.

Maybe that’s the way to approach a lot of things in life you fear. Think of it as a short sharp scratch - it’s not going to last and will be over soon enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment