Monday 15 July 2019

Social media memes - meaningful messaging or modern day stirring spoon?



I recently saw a meme on social media to focus on your family and home life and enjoy them and stop worrying so much about keeping the house so clean and tidy. This really struck a chord with me as it’s something I’m always battling with.

Being a Mum to three children aged 3 years and under I’m often distracted from my never ending To Do list or constant attempts to have a conversation. 

I often see these posts and find them a useful tool to help me refocus. 

Funnily enough I was recently angrily buffing away smears and marks from our TV screen and unit for the 6th time since I’d cleaned the day before and I stopped. Imagine if my children were no longer here - whether something happened to them or simply they’d grown up - how would I feel then? I’d give anything to see those sticky little handprints wouldn’t I? 

Are these posts always truly helpful though? 

To some seeing these types of memes shared can cause issues. Sometimes people can see the posts as a ‘dig’ at them or a cryptic way to ruffle their feathers. 

Often the people sharing these types of memes about ‘life’s too short’, ‘put family first’ and the like are actually the ones who perhaps need a reminder how to treat others themselves. This can really grate.

Like other aspects of these various platforms I suppose it all depends on how it’s carried out. It’s another example of 
how social media can be misused and people can place too much of an importance on their worth.  

To me I mostly find them a positive tool. I’m always caught up in the chaos that is our household and I tend to see these posts when the children aren’t about - typically when they’re asleep - and it gives me a chance to stop for a minute and think. 

I’ve actually taken note of another post I saw recently about refuelling cars/charging batteries and how you need to do the same yourself. So I’ve set aside the cleaning and chores whilst my eldest is at preschool and I’m doing things for me - having a cup of tea on the sofa and writing my blog which I’ve not had time for. 

So what’s my message? Just stop. Every so often remember to press that reset button. Clear your head. Untangle yourself from being caught up in that To Do list. 

Whether that’s via a post it note, a phone app reminder or seeing a shared meme on social media so be it. 

Remind yourself what’s really important. 


No comments:

Post a Comment