Thursday 12 February 2015

Jillian Michaels: Maximise Your Life

Slashing all the tyres. An analogy that has really struck me.

Recently myself and my fiancé attended a motivational talk. The talk was given by American personal trainer Jillian Michaels.

Yes, the Jillian Michaels who is behind the 30 Day Shred, the workout DVD I have obsessed over, over the years! (She even jokes herself in the UK she’s known as ‘the Shred lady’).

Admittedly I’ve never really been to a coaching session like this before and I really enjoyed it. As cheesy and cliché you may imagine it to be, it was actually pretty useful and inspiring.

On her Maximise Your Life tour, the no-mess trainer covers diet, exercise and general approaches to life.

I love her no nonsense way of talking. She admits herself she can’t share a miracle cure to lose weight and that all the information and fitness basics you’ve heard before are all she can share too.

When people ask questions and make excuses she stops them in their tracks and makes them take responsibility.

I guess this is what’s behind her success.

But back to those tyres.

One of the things Jillian referred to are the air soufflé and dust dieters. This is typically me. These people are super strict and don’t eat much at all during the week and are tough on themselves. Then on the weekend they blow out on a ton of junk.

She then uses the analogy of slashing the tyres. How people take the view that when they are having a ‘bad’ day and have eaten something not so good for them or haven’t exercised that they should just go full throttle and then eat unhealthily the whole of that day as a result.

This is so me. ‘Oh well I’m eating out tonight, or I’ve had a chocolate bar I might as well pig out now and go mad’.

Jillian says this is like your car getting a flat tyre and you jumping out and slashing the other three.

How true is this for a lot of us ladies on diets I imagine?

The good thing is that now being aware of this and the useful analogy sticking in my head I’m more careful of taking this approach.

Case in point, yesterday, I knew I was having a ‘cheat’ meal for dinner. Normally I would have written off the entire day and eaten badly and had a ‘day off’ from exercise. Instead I ate healthily all day and went for a workout to help compensate for all the additional calories I’d be consuming.

Now, don’t get me wrong I’m sure this won’t always be the case, but I feel even if that’s all I take away from the session then it was worth it!







No comments:

Post a Comment