Wednesday 7 August 2013

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker


Another one off the list of Richard & Judy Summer Reads, The Age of Miracles tells the tale of a world hit by a natural disaster. The world slows down.

If days were suddenly to start lasting longer what sort of impact could that have on animals, plants, weather and even humans? Thompson Walker tries to give us an idea.

I'm not really a Sci Fi fan, not that much in films and certainly not in books. Yet something appealed to me it seemed to make a change.

A key to this novel's appeal is the fact it also ties in with growing up and teenage angst - school troubles and young romance, dealing with your parents and realising what life is really like.

Yes the world may be going through a crisis, but Julia is still a young girl feeling unpopular, unsure whether she still has a best friend and getting wrapped up in crushes. 

I enjoyed the fact the book was different and tackled a very different topic. At times I thought early on that the combination of high school heartache and an 'end of the world' type scenario was not well matched and far fetched. The author's style is clever and develops well though to make it feel more natural and this fictional piece has more to it than you'd think.

Thompson Walker writes strong descriptions and you can picture the people and scenes she describes. I often thought how the book could easily be made into a film.

I'm still undecided how I feel about the book as a whole and the story. The Age of Miracles left me feeling pretty depressed to be honest, it's certainly not a feel-good piece. Saying that, I did enjoy it in the main and was glad I gave it a go. 

Good points
Something new
Strong descriptions 
Very unique approach, such as the tense used, ending, general storyline 

Not so great
How much actually happens
Was there a conclusion really?
Very negative/depressing 

Like the book I've not really come to a conclusion here I know, all I can say is give it a go yourself and let me know what you think. I'm still a bit muddled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment